Regsvr32.exe error 0x8002801c Windows 7

This is one of those I should have known better errors but since I could not find a direct reference to the error code on Google, I thought I would write it up for others.

I was trying to register the Crystal Reports 10 ocx component:

regsvr32  .exe c:\windows\system32\crystl32.ocx

When I got the error:

regsvr32Error

The module โ€œcrystl32.ocxโ€ was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with the error code 0x8002801c.

It is hard to believe (but then again for those of us doing this for a while, not so hard) that this error message is actually a permission problem. I had forgotten to Run as administrator when I opened the command prompt.

Once again, a more relevant error would have saved me some time plus remembering that registry updates always require admin rights.

This entry was posted in Registry, Visual Basic and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

13 Comments

1. Jose
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Thanks for the posting, it worked… for windows 7 with 64 bit

right click cmd.exe and select Run as administrator mode, then run
    regsvr32 .exe c:\windows\system32\crystl32.ocx

2. Posted February 28, 2012 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Glad it helped out. So obvious when you think about it but when you are in the middle of it NOT!

3. :)
    Posted July 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Thank you! it worked ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Posted July 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Glad it worked for you. Took me a while to dig up the answer the first time so I thought this might help someone else.

ROD>

5. Shelly
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 9:15 am | Permalink

This did not work for me – I’m thinking that it is because I’m still running Crystal 8, but perhaps not — the error I continue to receive is

RegSvr32
    The module “c:\windows\system32\crystl32.ocx” failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found.

I should have all the supporting .dlls and this is when migrating VB6 app to Windows 7 OS.

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

6. Posted July 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

OK, stupid question for you, is the crystl32.ocx in the system32 folder? I seem to remember that a Crystal 8 install did not always put its dll and ocx files into the system32 folder but into the Program Files.

I also needed to copy the following into system32:
    crpaig32.dll
    crpaig80.dll
    implode.dll

Good luck!
    ROD>

7. Posted November 3, 2012 at 3:18 am | Permalink

download vb6 even if you dont use it ๐Ÿ™‚ it will register all the missing files

8. gecko
    Posted February 27, 2013 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

im experiencing the issue when trying to register an OCX file while runnind CMD as admin. could there be any other issues that would cause the file to not register?

9. crescent
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

thanks rfage and Jose. I got the same error when trying to register an ocx file on Windows 7. the command Jose posted is magical! btw, it seems to be a space between regsrv32 and .exe ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Jeff Klopotic
    Posted September 23, 2013 at 1:18 am | Permalink

FWIW – I noticed that case of the filename is important in Win7.
    regsvr32 .exe c:\windows\system32\crystl32.ocx is not the same as regsvr32 .exe c:\windows\system32\CRYSTL32.OCX.

My problem was with another OCX file and on a hunch just tried making sure I matched the case of the filename I was registering and it made the difference – in registering. It still isn’t working for me as to allowing access to its members.

11. jcgabbi
    Posted April 9, 2015 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks its work fine!!!

12. JB
    Posted October 22, 2015 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

A big Thank You for this. I too completely forgot about having to run the command line as administrator and couldn’t figure out why my ocx was failing. This saved me a ton of time

13. nisant nayak
    Posted March 31, 2017 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

thanks its really helpful

One Trackback

1. […] Regsvr32 .exe error 0x8002801c Windows 7 | OSG โ€ฆ โ€“ This is one of those I should have known better errors but since I could not find a direct reference to the error code on Google, I thought I would write it up… […]